Stephanie Ford, LGPC
“I don’t try to control a sunset. I watch it with awe as it unfolds.” – Carl Rogers
Loyola University, May 2021/Masters of Science in Clinical Professional Counseling
Currently not accepting new clients.
What’s therapy with me like? I focus on anxiety/depression, OCD tendencies, perfectionism, and women’s issues, utilizing Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Existential Therapy, and Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT).
ACT allows us to look at who the client is as a whole person, rather than a list of symptoms. Existential therapy allows us to look at how humanness impacts our mental health, things we all are aware of but many of us would prefer to avoid like mortality or life meaning. DBT has a lot of great techniques that help to raise awareness and promote mindfulness so that there can be space to look at those bigger, scarier things.
How I’ve kept learning...I love reading books by psychologists both new and old! From OGs like Carl Rogers to some newer people in the field like Brené Brown. I also turn to research articles and classes when I encounter something new; like say, how pandemics impact mental health
Who do I work with? I work with adolescents, teenagers, young adults, adults, and those in middle age. I work with individuals and will do family therapy as necessary with minors.
My impacting identities are…I am a woman, I am part of the LGBTQ+ community, and I am the child of an immigrant. However, I am also cisgender and white and work to maintain awareness about how my privilege intersects with my impacting identities.
I feel allied/aware/part of/informed/knowledgeable about…LGBQ (part of, knowledgeable about), Trans (allied, working to gain knowledge about), BIPOC (allied, working to gain knowledge about)
I am the best fit for a client who…is open to new ways of looking at the world and at themselves.
I am not a good fit for a client who…is expecting me to “fix” them. Therapy with me is a 50/50 process, you can expect me to do my part and I’ll expect you to do yours!
What makes me unique? I love finding out how the client thinks and transforming techniques from a page in a textbook into something that’s personalized and makes sense. Sitting still and meditating doesn’t work for you? Let’s figure out what you already do that brings even that millisecond of peace and figure out how to make it therapeutic. Do you find a special scent really comforting? Or do you prefer a fluffy blanket? Maybe listening to your favorite song? I know the skills and work to learn about you. You know about you and work to learn about the skills.
The Practical Stuff
What insurances do I accept? I will be in network with CareFirst BCBS and Evernorth (previously known as Cigna).
Do I offer telehealth or in person sessions? Currently I prefer teletherapy, but will be looking to move back into the office when both myself and clients feel comfortable!
Am I taking on new clients? Yes!
The Fun Stuff
Did you know…I hoop dance, go on hikes (or more accurately, walks in nature), cuddle with my cat, sing badly to loud music, and do yoga
Any pets? I have a very cute chonky cat named Millie
What I’ve Learned Lately
- Mandatory Reporter Training, Baltimore Child Abuse Center, 8/23/21
- HIPAA and Behavioral Health, Relias Academy, 8/30/21
- Best Practices in Suicide Screening and Assessment, Relias Academy, 8/30/21
- Legal and Ethical Standards of Care in Behavioral Health, Relias Academy, 8/30/21
- Working More Effectively with the LGBTQ+ Community, Relias Academy, 9/1/21
- Understanding and Addressing Racial Trauma in Behavioral Health, Relias Academy, 9/2/21
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (2nd Ed.) The process and practice of mindful change by Steven Hayes, Kirk Strosahl, and Kelly Wilson, September 2021
- Trauma and the Developing Adolescent Brain (2018), International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation (ISSTD), October 2021
- Counseling Transgender and Nonbinary Youth: The Essential Guide, Irwin Krieger, LCSW, November 2021
- ACT Made Simple Russ Harris, December 2021
How to Give me A Buzz
The best way to contact me is…via email at firstname.lastname@example.org