Lizzy Blake, LMSW
“You are imperfect, you are wired for struggle, but you are worthy of love and belonging.” – Brene Brown
University of Maryland School of Social Work, 2020/MSW
Taking new clients.
What’s therapy with me like? I focus on eating disorders, co-occurring disorders, and substance use disorders, using intuitive eating, DBT, and EMDR. I like EMDR because I have seen people make progress that they have not made during traditional therapy. I like the structure of DBT and think all of the skills are useful for anyone. I think intuitive eating is a great modality due to it’s anti diet approach.
How I’ve kept learning… In the last year I completed an EMDR basic training and recently completed my consultation hours. I am currently working on finishing my hours to complete a DBT certification.
Who do I work with? I prefer college age through 65. I specialize in individual therapy.
My impacting identities are… I am a cisgender, straight, white woman. I am agnostic but was raised Catholic. I am diagnosed with ADHD and generalized anxiety disorder. I have learned so much about myself and what kind of therapist I want to be throughout my own therapy journey.
I feel allied/aware/part of/informed/knowledgeable about… LGBTQ+ (allied and knowledgeable), Neurodivergent populations (part of, knowledgeable), BIPOC (allied, continuing to work on gaining knowledge).
I am the best fit for a client who… is ready to take the action steps to reach goals they have for their lives. I strive to create a positive, empathetic, and safe environment to make you feel comfortable being vulnerable and open to discussing experiences that may have been difficult to talk about in the past.
I am not a good fit for clients who… needs a more traditional talk therapy approach. I am a goal oriented person so that impacts my therapy style. I am not a good fit for someone who is offended by occasional cursing.
What makes me unique? I really value authenticity and that shows up in my therapy style.
The Practical Stuff
What insurances do I accept? I am in network with BCBS and Evernorth (previously known as Cigna).
Do I offer telehealth or in person sessions? During COVID, I am offering teletherapy, but I would like to start offering both teletherapy and in person once I feel safer being in the office.
The Fun Stuff
Did you know…I am really good at putting Ikea furniture together. I rarely need the instructions.
Any pets? I have a very fluffy cat named Squire. He will show up to say hi sometimes during sessions. I sometimes like to think of him as my assistant.
What I’ve Learned Lately
- Counseling on Access to Lethal Means, Suicide Prevention Resource Center at EDC, March 2020
- Adverse Childhood Experiences: Impact on future health, Baltimore Child Abuse Center, July 2020
- Suicide Prevention for Clinicians: Risk Assessment and Management Techniques, 3C Institute, September 2020
- Cultural and Linguistic Competency, 3C Institute, September 2020
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) 4-Day Intensive Certification Training, PESI, October 2020
- EMDR Basic Training, Thrive Learning, May 2021
- Ethical and Legal Issues at the Interface of Mental Health and Medicine, Sheppard Pratt Wednesday Lecture Series, October 2021
- Ethical Challenges for Mental Health Care In Prison, Sheppard Pratt Wednesday Lecture Series, November 2021
- The Flash Technique- An Advance in EMDR Treatment, EMDRIA, November 2021
- HIPAA and Behavioral Health, January 2022
- Legal and Ethical Standards of Care in Behavioral Health, January 2022
- Best Practices in Suicide Screening and Assessment, January 2022
- Working More Effectively with the LGBTQ+ Community, January 2022
- Understanding and Addressing Racial Trauma in Behavioral Health, January 2022
- Mandatory Reporter Training, January 2022
- #Triggers: Social Media Literacy and Eating Disorder Recovery, The Renfrew Center, February 2022
- Exploring the Complexities of Substance Use and Eating Disorder Treatment, Crossroads, March 2022
- Anti-racism Training 3 Month Training, Dr. Nathalie Edmond, March & April 2022
- Inclusive Evidence-Based Practices in Gender Non-Binary Mental Health Services ,SMI Advisor, April 2022
- Locating and Understanding Data For Suicide Prevention, Suicide Prevention Resource Center, May 2022
- Virtual Mental Health Providers: How to Get Quality ADHD Treatment Online, ADDitude Webinars, June 2022
- Gender Affirming Surgery Letter Writing Training, Tavi Hawn, LCSW-C, July 2022
- Eating Disorders and Diet Culture: Inclusive Care for Trans Communities, The Affirmative Couch, August 2022
How to Give me A Buzz
The best way to contact me is…via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.