“If you lose someone, but find yourself, you won.” – Anonymous
Bowie State University/May 2022 – Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology
Currently in school at Modern Sex Therapy Institutes – PhD in Clinical Sexology, Projected graduation: May 2024
Not currently accepting new clients.
What’s therapy with me like? I focus on ethical non-monogamy, alternative lifestyles such as BDSM and Leather, as well as anxiety and depression using an eclectic approach with an Adlerian perspective, as well as existential therapy.
These modalities can be used to create a holistic view of the person paired with an understanding of the wider world. Their flexibility to be paired with one another makes them great puzzle pieces for aiding in better health and wellness. We are dynamic beings with ever evolving experiences, so we should be treated as such.
Therapy with me is very focused on you, with a lot of talking. There will be puns involved, so prepare to lower your walls and really reconnect with yourself in our sessions. This is your time and I cannot be doing more work than you are, so be prepared to have uncomfortable conversations with yourself in and outside of session! Sessions with me are telehealth, but please be in a solo and confidential space so we can speak freely and do the work. Furry loved ones are always welcome and I usually have at least one of my dogs during our sessions.
My sessions are very safe spaces where you can be your full authentic self and get into some less than happy topics. I view my role in therapy as a shepherding cheerleader, celebrating your wins and supporting your harder moments, finding that therapeutic relationships work best when people can be their authentic self, especially if there’s ugly crying involved. I am passionate about my work and my clients!
How I’ve kept learning… I am working on a PhD in Clinical Sexology, which will also make me an AASECT certified Sex Therapist. In addition to being in graduate school, I am a member of the American Psychological Association, the American Counseling Association, the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists, as well as the Licensed Clinical Professional Counselors of Maryland. Each provides opportunities for continued learning. I also educate myself through other workshops done by groups including The Transgender Training Institute and GenderU. I am also working on my DBT certification and recently finished my Trauma Informed Care certification and the Gottman Method Levels 1 & 2. As you can tell from my “What I’ve Learned Lately” section, I love to learn and am always on the hunt for more education!
Who do I work with? Adults, individuals, couples, and polycules who are kinky, polyamorous/ethically non-monogamous, and/or LGBTQ+.
My impacting identities are… I am a neurodivergent, gothy and nerdy married, pansexual, polyamorous, agnostic, cis-gendered white woman. I grew up in two very contrasting spaces and I identify with multiple cultures. Maryland and the US Virgin Islands were about as different as you could ask for, but it gave me tremendous experiences in dual worlds and I still carry the island blue waters in my veins. I am part of Leather traditions, as well as a member of the BDSM community including a 24/7 power exchange relationship. I have PTSD-C from domestic violence, as well as ADHD, depression and anxiety, which I actively work on. I can be productively sarcastic, direct, and quite hilarious. I oscillate between different amounts of blue vs black in my hair but always have facial piercings.
I feel allied/aware/informed/knowledgeable about… neurodiversity (member/knowledgeable), BDSM (member/knowledgeable), LGBTQ+ (member/knowledgeable), Polyamory/Ethical non-monogamy (practicing and knowledgeable), BIPOC (ally/knowledgeable), military/service members (ally), nerds (member/knowledgeable), higher education (member/knowledgeable), returning students (member/knowledgeable), body modification (member/knowledgeable).
I am the best fit for a client who… wants to explore themselves and their world, especially clients who enjoy being challenged. For a client who is ready to do the work, be open and talkative, I’m definitely your girl. I am a great fit for anyone who is exploring their sexual and gender identities, with great care and knowledge for trans persons (I’m even trained in writing Gender Affirming Surgical letters!). I’m a great fit for anyone who enjoys what alternative lifestyles can provide, as well as open minded clients who are seeking peace and stability. If you’re looking for a down-to-earth and real person to talk to with occasional swearing and dad jokes, then we would be a great fit!
I am not a good fit for a client who… is not ready to build a trusting relationship with a clinician, those that have complex concerns such as Borderline Personality Disorder, which I am not yet skilled enough to treat. I am also not a good fit for a client seeking a religious basis for treatment or who is offended by swearing. I am also not a good fit for someone seeking a rigid or structured approach with assigned workbooks.
What makes me unique? I am a Covered Master in Leather and have very much included the tenants of Honor, Integrity and Respect into my life. I live in a kitchen table poly household, making me uniquely empathetic to the highs and lows of polyamory and the dynamics within multiple relationships. When it comes to the populations I focus on, I definitely walk the walk!
The Practical Stuff
What insurances do I accept? I am in-network with Blue Cross Blue Shield and Cigna/EverNorth. Please see our Rates and Insurance page for more information.
Do I offer telehealth or in person sessions? I currently do telehealth sessions only.
Am I taking on new clients? Not at this time.
The Fun Stuff
Did you know…I have over 75 tattoos and am always adding more! I was also a speaker at my graduation!
Any pets? I have 3 Pinschers: a Doberman (Max), German (Lola) & Miniature (Frank)! At least one is in my office at any given time (usually Max), so feel free to ask to see them!
What I’ve Learned Lately
- Peer Recovery Training, Jordan Peer Recovery, March 2019
- Disclosure, Netflix Documentary, January 2020
- Art Alive Grief Support, Alive Grief Center, October 2020
- Trauma Informed CBT, Webinar with Goucher University, October 2020
- Art Therapy Trauma Group, Enlighten Therapeutic Foundation, December 2020
- The Pandemic, An Epidemic and Adler, Student Adlerian Society, March 2021
- Counseling with PRIDE: Adlerian Considerations for LGBTQ+, June 2021
- Mandatory Reporter Training, Baltimore Child Abuse Center, August 2021
- Working More Effectively with the LGBTQ+ Community, Relias Academy, August 2021
- HIPAA and Behavioral Health, Relias Academy, August 2021
- Best Practices in Suicide Screening and Assessment, Relias Academy, August 2021
- Legal and Ethical Standards of Care in Behavioral Health, Relias Academy, August 2021
- Understanding and Addressing Racial Trauma in Behavioral Health, Relias Academy, August 2021
- Sexual Orientation & Behavioral Health 101 University of Maryland, School of Social Work, ,The Institute for Innovation and Implementation, September 2021
- Gender Identity, Expression and Behavioral Health 101 Online with University of Maryland, School of Social Work, The Institute for Innovation and Implementation, October 2021
- Speaking Up: How to be An Effective Ally in the Workplace, Online with University of Kansas, Edwards Campus, October 2021
- Non-Binary Basics, The Transgender Training Institute, Inc., October 2021
- Stress Management, Bowie State University Student Adlerian Society, October 2021
- The Gender Affirmative Support Surgery Evaluation Tool Training, The Gender U, December 2021
- Polysecure, Jessica Fern, December 2021
- Telemental Health Certification, PESI, Inc., December 2021
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy Certification (C-DBT): Practical Clinical Applications for Trauma, Comorbidities, Addiction and More, PESI, Inc., December 2021 & January 2022
- Certified Clinical Trauma Professional: Trauma Competency, PESI, Inc., January 2022
- Clinical Foundations in Gottman Method Couples Therapy Level 1 Gottman Institute, January 2022
- Clinical Foundations in Gottman Method Couples Therapy Level 2 Gottman Institute, January 2022
- Pride Documentary Series, HULU, February 2022
- Come As You Are, Dr. Emily Nagoski, February 2022
- Working With Transgender and Non-Binary Clients: Integrating Therapeutic Models of Care, Transgender Training Institute, March 2022
- Integrating Therapeutic Models of Care for Trans Clients Transgender Training Institute,March 2022
- From Surviving to Thriving, Emma Jack, March 2022
- Anti-racism Training 3 Month Training, Dr. Nathalie Edmond, March & April 2022
- Evidence Based Practice Bootcamp for Behavioral Health Professionals, Jordan Peer Recovery, May 2022
- History of Sex Research, Theory and Therapy, Richard Siegel, PhD, June 2022
- Sex Therapies that Harm, Nikki Prause, PhD, June 2022
- Doing Affirmative Sex Therapy with LGBTQ+ Clients, Margie Nichols, June 2022
- An Integrative Model for Understanding and Treating Extra-Marital Affairs, Barry McCarthy, PhD, June 2022
- Pleasure is the Measure, Emily Nagoski, PhD, June 2022
- Trauma, Drama and Kink, Sisters of Sensuality Podcast with Jet Setting Jasmine and Marla Stewart, June 202
- What’s Next for Sex? How the latest innovations in sextech are transforming the way we mate, relate and masturbate, Holly Richmond, Ph.D., July 2022
- Exploring BDSM & Kink as a Healing Practice for Trauma Survivors, Rafaella Smith-Fiallo, LCSW, July 2022
- Taking Sex Outside of the Bedroom: Advanced Skills in Working With Gay Men, Rick Miller, LICSW, July 2022
- Aging and Sexuality, Barry McCarthy, July 2022
- The Intersection of Sexuality and Religion, Larry Siegel, M.A., July 2022
- Gender Affirming Surgery Letter Writing Training, Tavi Hawn, LCSW-C, July 2022
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Sexual Dysfunction: Diagnosis and Treatment of Male Sexual Dysfunction, Stanley Althof, Ph.D., August 2022
- Sexual Intelligence: A New View of Sexual “Function” & Satisfaction, Marty Klein, Ph.D, August 2022
- Sociocultural Factors in Sexual Values and Behavior, Dr. Brent Satterly, August 2022
- Kink In Color and Clinician: Intersections of Sex-Positive Kink for Sex-Positive Clinicians, Shanae Adams, August 2022
- Psychodynamic Therapy & Consensual Monogamy, Ryan Witherspoon, PhD, August 202
- Transference/Countertransference Dynamics with LGBTQIA+ Clients, Affirmative Couch with Cadyn Cathers, PsyD, September 2022
- Case Consultation, Holly Richmond, PhD, September 2022
- Medical Factors Related to Sexuality and Sexual Functioning, Madelaine Castellanos, MD, September 2022
- The Existential Importance of the Penis: A Guide to Understanding the Sexuality of Men, Dan Watter, EdD, September 2022
- Walking the Line: The Power and Impact of Self-disclosure by Modern Sex Therapists, James Wadley, PhD, CST-S, September 2022
- What Do Clients with ADHD Teach Us About All Relationships & Sex Lives, Ari Tuckman, PsyD, CST, September 2022
- Understanding Surrogate Partner Therapy, Brian Gibney, September 2022
- Conjuring a Decolonial Sextopia, Zelaika Hepworth Clarke Carnagie, PhD via AASECT Institute Virtual Program 2022, October 2022
- Embodying Communal Liberation, Susy Zepeda, PhD via AASECT Institute Virtual Program 2022, October 2022
- A New Model of Male Sexuality Featuring Good Enough Sex (GES) and Responsive Male Desire, Barry McCarthy, PhD, October 2022
- Transition Anxiety: Play, Pleasure, and Possibility beyond Trans 101, Rae McDaniel, MEd, LCPC, CST, October 2022
- Exploring Sexual Communication, Pleasure, and Freedom for Gender Minorities with Chronic Illness, Pain, and other Disabilities, Lee Phillips, EdD, LCSW, CSAC. CST, CSCT, October 2022
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Sexual Dysfunction: Treating the Two Most Common Female Sexual Complaints: Orgasm Issues and Diminished Desire, Laurie Mintz, PhD, November 2022
- Jealousy Across Relationship Styles: What the Research Can Teach Us, Joli Hamilton, November 2022
- A Client-Centered Approach to Working with “Porn Problems,” Diane Gleim, November 2022
- From Mammy to Megan: Anti-Black Sexual Tropes and the Nuances of Fetishism and Objectification for Sex-Positive Professionals, Shanae Adams, LPCC, November 2022
- Attachment and Codependency: Understanding the Styles and Defensive Structures, Gayle Bohlman, LCSW-C and James Spruill, LMSW, November 2022
- Neurodiversity Training, Eddie Lomash, LCPC, November 2022
- Internal Family Systems Immersion Retreat, Alexia Rothman, PhD via PESI, November & December 2022
- Case Consultation, Sari Cooper, December 2022
- Reclaiming Pleasure: Helping Clients Move Past Sexual Trauma to Reclaim a Passionate Life, Holly Richmond, PhD, December 2022
- Ethics in Sex Therapy, Daniel Watter, EdD, December 2022
- Integrating Acceptance & Commitment Therapy for Sexual Self-Esteem, Lee Phillips, EdD, LCSW, CSAC. CST, CSCT2, December 2022
How to Give me A Buzz
The best way to contact me is… by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.