Erick J. Sowell, LMSW
“Be curious, not judgmental.” – Ted Lasso
University of Maryland School of Social Work, 2020/Clinical Social Work
Currently accepting new clients for a waitlist.
What’s therapy with me like? I specialize in veterans’ Issues, sleep hygiene, and non-monogamy using the Gottman Method, Inter-Cultural Communication, and CBT. I like how they can be blended to offer a client a fluid approach that best fits their needs and pace.
How I’ve kept learning…I co-lead a book club for therapists with another HoneyB practitioner that reads and examines books on subjects such as polyamory or supporting clients in the BDSM community. I’m also involved in a weekly consult group for clinicians that I do outside of my regular supervision hours. In addition, I have gained proficiency in utilizing the new Gottman Method TeleHealth-friendly platform.
Who do I work with? I work with 18+ individuals.
My impacting identities are… I am a disabled combat veteran, also with intersecting ethnic identities of Asian and Latinx.
I feel allied/aware/part of/informed/knowledgeable about… non-monogamy (part of), veteran (part of), and the queer community (knowledgeable).
I am the best fit for a client who…is comfortable going at a measured pace, and is prepared to reflect on their life experiences.
I am not a good fit for a client who… is looking for brief, solution-focused therapy… or is not ready to consider reflecting on their life experiences.
What makes me unique? My intersectional identity and life experiences might set me apart from many therapists in the area.
The Practical Stuff
What insurances do I accept? I am in network with Carefirst BCBS and Evernorth (previously known as Cigna). I do not accept insurance for couples/relationship therapy. Please see our Rates and Insurance page for more information.
Do I offer telehealth or in person sessions? I mainly utilize teletherapy, but will offer hybrid or in-person options on a limited basis.
Am I taking on new clients? I am currently accepting new clients for a waitlist.
The Fun Stuff
Did you know…I have lived in the big three, L.A., Chicago, and NYC.
Any pets? I have a small dog – Raider.
What I’ve Learned Lately
- Gottman Connect network (orienting new platform), Gottman Institute, January 2022
- “Understanding Your Emotions” – Childhood Emotion Exploration, The Gottman Institute, February 2022
- Social Work in the Digital Age: Challenging Boundary and Dual Relationship Issues & Post Traumatic Growth in an Age of COVID, NASW, March 2022
- Anti-racism Training 3 Month Training, Dr. Nathalie Edmond, March & April 2022
- Post Traumatic Growth in an Age of COVID, NASW, March 2022
- CVN’s Caring for Our Diverse Military Population training, Modules 1-4. (Modules 5-7 & final exam next month), Cohen Veterans Network, April 2022
- Risk Management & Telehealth (Ethics), IEVLC, May 2022
- Healing Couples’ Conflict & Repair, D.P. Heller, June 2022
- Gender Affirming Surgery Letter Writing Training, Tavi Hawn, LCSW-C, July 2022
- Come As You Are – Parts 1 & 2, Emily Nagoski, Ph.D., August 2022
- The Anxious Person’s Guide to Non-Monogamy, Lola Phoenix, September & October 2022
- Neurodiversity Training, Eddie Lomash, LCPC, November 2022
- Polysecure Workbook, Book Club, January-March 2023
- Sternberg Triangular Theory of Love; various writings of Robert J. Sternberg, Professor of Psychology at Cornell University; July 2023
- Money Beliefs & Behaviors Assessment; Therapist Aid; August 2023
How to Give me A Buzz
The best way to contact me is…by email to email@example.com